Thursday, March 25, 2010

J.D. Hartman

I read with interest the Caring Bridge update for J.D. Hartman today. I don't know this family, but somehow I started following their story of a near-drowning of their son, J.D., and the rough road to recovery over a period of more than a year. His father, John, who was writing today talks about how difficult it is to keep praying over and over for something (with conviction):

Praying a prayer for miraculous results over and over is hard to do, I want His answer (the one I want) now, not when He wants to give it and I need to turn the timer off and realize God hears my cries, pleas, demands and with persistence, patience and a heart that is true in my belief- He will answer.... I have often told myself and JD, I will be here and we will get through this thing however long it takes. Talk is cheap, now it is time to execute on that commitment and speak directly to God with a "right heart" everyday for as long as it takes.

Dear Lord, please help me have patience and faith while I wait to hear from You. Help me live in excited anticipation for the day when I will see how You answer my prayers. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


Haven't you felt that way?
Why do I keep asking?
Am I being heard?
Does it make any difference?
Am I asking for the wrong thing?

I know that prayer is not all about asking, but I know right now, at this time in my life, I am surrounded by hurting, suffering people. Another one brought to my attention last week: Denise, a young woman with stage 4 melanoma. My kids went to school with her. We know her family. We know her sister died as a young mother of cancer. I add Denise and her family to my list. I'm praying for a miracle of healing for Denise, but also asking God to show HIs presence through all this nightmare of a situation they are going through.

No comments: