Monday, August 9, 2010

Hernan Visit


It was wonderful to meet Shari and Bob's family and friends. What a great visit we had. You can click below to see the rest of the pictures.
We weren't sure if we were going to be able to visit the Hernans on our trip home, so we waited until the day before to let them know we would be there on Sunday in the afternoon. They said that was great, so we parked for the night and went to bed. I began thinking about them, and could not sleep. I remember hearing about Garret Harper, the son of a long time friend who is suffering from cancer. Their church came to their home, quietly surrounded the house and prayed for the family and for Garrett. I wondered if we could pull that off for the Hernans. I could not sleep. I finally decided I needed to get up and figure out a way to let people know. I would have liked for it to be a surprise, but I had no idea who of Shari's Facebook friends lived nearby. I finally asked Shari if she could post it on Caring Bridge. She responded immediately. I think it was close to midnight on Saturday night. We did not know until the next day that they were having a very difficult night with Matthew. They didn't even get to bed that night until 3 in the morning. So, not knowing if anyone would show up, we headed to the Hernans. When we arrived, we found out5 that several people had responded, and were going to join us in prayer. Among them was Theresa, Nathan Akins mom, whom we had known in Tucson. She drove 2 1/2 hours to join us. About 20 people showed up and we decided to "surround" Matthew in his room and pray. Matthew lay there peacefully as we led in prayer. It was a great time.

1 comment:

Janis Van Keuren said...

What a blessing you were for your friends. You acted on the nudging of the Holy Spirit, and the Lord poured out His answer.

Blessings,
Janis