Friday, May 2, 2008

Family Connections in Shelley, Idaho



Since we were staying in Idaho Falls to warm up, we decided to go to the library in Shelley to see if we could find the address where I had visited my grandfather when I was three. I talked to my mom and my brother and we pieced together some information. Steven, my nephew, had the date of Gustav Anderson's death, so the library gave me the microfilm for the Shelley Pioneer Newspaper June 3, 1954. I found two articles, but this library had no way to duplicate the microfilm. I tried taking a digital picture, but that didn't turn out that great. Denny suggested we go to the Shelley Pioneer, which we did. They easily made copies of the two articles we found. Then they realized they knew the family, and relatives of ours lived right down the road from the newspaper office. So she gave us the address of a second cousin (my father's first cousin, Mark Anderson). We went to his home, and we had a delightful visit. As it turns out, the home I had visited when I was three was only two doors down. Also, right across the street was the family homestead of my great grandparents who immigrated from Sweden, Gustav A and Maria Anderson. We made a great connection, as Mark is really interested in geneology, and is going to send me pictures, and his version of the family tree which he has worked on.

No comments: